For me, a good night’s rest starts with a dedicated, extensive and (somewhat) expensive nighttime skincare routine.
While my morning routine is focussed on protection from the scorching sun, my nighttime routine works on repairing my skin as I sleep. When I was younger I always thought that idea was an old wives tale, yet, science has proven otherwise.
Simply put, as you sleep your skin makes the effort to repair any damage that might have happened throughout the day. Think free radical damage, pollution and UV exposure. In fact, there is a whole intricate process behind it which you can read more about it here. It’s pretty fascinating stuff.
Anything that has to do with self-care and wellness, I’m all for it. Alas, I don’t consider my nighttime regime as a routine per se. It’s more of a ritual.
Working in a fast-paced marketing role, plus my studies in photography and whatever else life decides to throw at me, having time to properly relax is often a rare occurrence.
It’s the only time where everything around me is quiet. Still. Completely tranquil.
It’s time that I well and truly relish in. As a result, I spend a while using each product and really applying it onto my skin, making sure they’ve been absorbed before moving onto the next one.
Whereas my morning routine would take approximately 10-20 minutes to complete, this one takes around 30-40 minutes, including wait times in between.
But moving onto the main course: the ritual itself, written like a recipe.
- Banila Co Clean It Zero Cleansing Balm
- Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cleanser
- Ultraceuticals Ultra Brightening Foaming Cleanse
- Clarisonic Mia 2
- The Ordinary Argireline Solution 10%
- Ultraceuticals Ultra Brightening Serum
- The Ordinary Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG
- Cetaphil DailyAdvance Ultra Hydrating Lotion
- CosRX Hyaluronic Acid Hydra Power Essence
- Kora Organics Noni Glow Face Oil
Start with a triple cleanse in the following order to prep the skin for treatments:
– Oil cleanse with Banila Co Clean It Zero Cleansing Balm: This melts and removes all the makeup, sunscreen and grime accumulated throughout the day. Apply a tiny scoop onto dry skin, then wash.
– Foam cleanse with Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cleanser: Removes any extra residue the oil cleanse may have missed, without drying out the skin. Apply a pea-sized amount.
– Do not towel dry, just let the skin absorb the water naturally.
Once or twice a week, indulge in a face mask immediately after the cleanse. The ones from Kiehl’s work best.
Begin treatments with serums. Alternate daily between these products:
– The Ordinary Argireline Solution 10%: Sometimes called botox in a bottle, Argireline reduces dynamic folds in the face (read: smile lines, forehead lines, eye and neck wrinkles). Apply 3-4 drops and rub in circular motions on the face and neck until set.
– Ultraceuticals Ultra Brightening Serum: A potent combination of Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) and Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA) chemically exfoliates the skin. The formula also features niacinamide (vitamin B3), oxyresveratrol & Melissa Officinalis extract to brighten the complexion and add luminosity. One pump for the face. Half pump for the neck.
– For extra care on the eyes, add one drop of The Ordinary Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG and pat under and around each eye. The caffeine and green tea reduces puffiness and dark circles. Be generous, don’t skimp.
Seal in all of that goodness with a balanced moisturiser.
Choose between the following two, depending on the weather and how the skin feels.
– Cetaphil DailyAdvance Ultra Hydrating Lotion: Simple and straightforward. Nothing fancy. It does one thing and one thing very well – moisturise. My go-to choice especially during Winter due to how emollient it is. Apply two pea-sized amounts.
– CosRX Hyaluronic Acid Hydra Power Essence: The hyaluronic acid prevents water loss, keeping it supple and bouncy. Lightweight feel, with only seven ingredients – perfect for hot humid days. One pump is just enough.
Regardless of what moisturiser you choose, always mix in one to three drops of Kora Organics Noni Glow Face Oil. The mix of Noni Extract, Rosehip Oil, Pomegranate Oil and Sea Buckthorn Oil create a potent formula of antioxidants and essential fatty acids to plump the skin.
And voila. Done. Dusted. Ready for bed.